Ahhh Rome. The only place we didn't have a reservation. We walked around, finally found the place we had decided to stay at, and then...no one was there. We tried calling three different places, but I'm afraid we're phone illiterate here.
I pulled out my trusty book and found us a little convent not too far from where we were. The rooms they had were a little bit pricier, but could I really complain? We each had our own room with a private bath. No, I definitely could not complain.
Sightseeing
We started out at Capitol Hill and went all the way to the top. Wow! What views! All of Rome was right before our eyes. We could see the Roman Forum leading all the way up to the Collesseum, churches everywhere...
Our next stop was the Collesseum. Terri and I went exploring on our own, so I walked all the levels accessible to tourists. It's huge and amazing...although I'm not sure I like the idea of it so much. It was basically a slaughter house for men and animals.
After exiting, I waded through tourists and vendors to the entrance to Palatine Hill. This is where Rome's rich built their palaces, wanting to be as close to the action as possible. It's actually where we get the word "palace".
I really loved Palatine Hill. It's like a huge, tree-filled park with ruins sprinkled all over. I saw a lot of ruins...I'm no archeologist, so I'm afraid they all started to look the same to me after a while. But to be in that area was wonderful. You could lay on the grass and just listen to the wind in the trees. It must have been a beautiful place to live.
After Palatine Hill, I wandered the Roman Forum. This was Rome's main street. It was the center of Rome's political, religious and legal world. When a country was conquered by Rome's superiority, they would march up this street to Capitol Hill, displaying all their plunder and truimph.
Among other things in this area, there is the Arch of Titus (sorry, not sure about this because I don't have any notes with me). This arch (Arch of Triumph) was built by Jewish prisoners after the Roman's conquered them...I believe in 70 AD? It is basically the entrance to the forum. On the other side, just before Capitol Hill, is another arch, although I don't remember what victories it commemorated.
The law offices were housed in a huge building that overlapped the street. Just down from them was the temple and housing of the Vestal Virgins. It was their job to keep the fire of Rome burning. They were "volunteered" at the age of 10 and would spend the next 30 years of their lives in this occupation.
So, lots of ruins today...sorry there's no pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment